U2 Metro Line
In this image from left to right: Wittenbergplatz, Klosterstraße and Deutscher Oper stations.A journey through the U2's 29 stations and 21 km is a journey through the city's history before WWI, through WWII, the separation of East and West, the reunification, today and future plans for the city.
The 6km route of the U2 Line between Potsdamer Platz and Zoologischer Garten was Berlin's first metro route inaugurated in 1902. The extention to Pankow station was inaugurated in 2000, and there are plans for a further extension in 2030.
A proposal by Siemens was the starting point for the design and construction of one of the city's most important urban interventions. It involved as well the elevated railway line on the east side, now U1.
About the architectural designsArchitect Alfred Grenander was asked to submit an "artistic solution" for the colums of the elevated raiway and then spent 30 years as house architect for the elevated and the underground railway, designing beautiful industrial-jugendstil stations. The least modified is the underground station of Alexanderplatz.
Well known architects in that time joined in the design of some stations like Alfred Cremer and Richard Wolffenstein on the Nollendorfplatz station.
After several problems and because of the destruction during WWII some stations like Gleisdreieck and Potsdamer Platz were completely renovated by Hilmer, Sattler & Partner.
The last station to be added to the line was Pankow on 2000 designed by Orlando Figallo to join the existing S-Bahn station that stood there since 1913 with mixed traditional an art nouveau styles.