Originally designed to be a "Jewish School for Girls" in the late 20's, this industrial-style building was also adapted to be a military hospital, host a Berlin Biennale and now it is an art center with galleries, a museum and a restaurant.
A white 18m tall concrete curtain becomes lighter as one surrounds the building until the glass entrance is found. The different visual perspectives that the Mexican embassy adopts make it one of the Diplomatic Quarter's favorites.
The massive volume that took the place of a protected building, and which is at the same time proportionate, consists of hand-made ornamented ceramic plates intending to be reminiscent of the secession architecture.
A massive red cube synthesizes a 7000-year-old civilization. With reliefs around its facade and inside the building's lobby the design captures hieroglyphics and symbols representing Egypt's history and traditions.
A successful mix of styles and cultures makes this building a good example of modernist (from the 1930-60's) elements that have become classics. The complex is formed by two isolated red brick "villas".